Trippie Redd - Trip At Knight ALBUM REVIEW

Being a fan of both Kanye and Drake, I’m just sitting back and watching Trippie Redd flourish over all the hype that song’s getting.


I call myself a casual Trippie Redd fan. I know his most popular songs and, yes, I’ve heard a good chunk of his albums, but I don’t think he has a genuinely great project yet. His last album, Pegasus and its expansion Neon Shark, is by far the worst album of his career so far and would probably be career suicide for any artist that isn’t already established. It’s that bad. Now, we have his new album, Trip at Knight. We have a pretty star-studded feature list here too, with names like Drake, Lil Uzi Vert, Playboi Carti, Ski Mask the Slump God, Juice WRLD, XXXTENTACION, Lil Durk, and Polo G appearing here, among others. Is Trip at Knight the bounce-back that Trippie needs to stay in the limelight? Let’s find out.

First, let’s get into the production. Good god, this is a cohesive-sounding album. Every single beat here sounds like it was made on a Game Boy-esque MIDI program, and I kind of love it…? Trippie has been calling this album a ‘rage’ album, and I don’t blame him. Hell, the lead single “Miss the Rage” with Playboi Carti is one of the hardest songs of the year (and it would’ve been the hardest if Mario Judah still had that hook) and it’s such a cool song. The production is quite samey across this album, but so is a good amount of his albums. If you liked “Miss the Rage,” you’ll like a good amount of the songs on here. Most of the headlines come from the Drake feature on “Betrayal” where he disses Kanye West, but I really think that this is one of Drake’s best features in a while and I think he sounds great on this type of production. Now, landing back to Trippie, I think he knows his new sound and flaunts it pretty well. He mostly has some good flow on here, but like the production, it feels samey.

Trip at Knight is a pretty good album, but it could’ve been better to me. I think it could have done with some more variety in the production, but outside of that, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Trippie Redd has found his new sound here and it’s pretty nice to see someone sticking to a sound he’s good on and I can respect that. There was just more potential for it to be better.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Trip at Knight is a Universal release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters