Pink Siifu - GUMBO'! ALBUM REVIEW

Just gotta say that Rate Your Music is scared of hi-hats.


Welcome to another round of ‘Artist I Haven’t Researched Thoroughly Before Reviewing.’ So, I first heard of Pink Siifu from his feature on The Avalanches comeback album We Will Always Love You and since then, I’ve heard his two projects with Fly Anakin, FlySiifu’s and $mokebreak. I’ve liked both of those projects, but I have yet to hear a full album from Siifu. I’m about to change that with GUMBO’!, which I had just found about this past weekend. So, you know, might as well review it, right? Let’s get into it.

I can say for a fact that this is unlike anything I’ve heard this year, maybe even ever in the modern rap landscape. It’s pretty mellow and gloomy, and with that, it’s a pretty good experimental trap album, if one even exists. I think “Wayans Bros.” with Peso Gordon and “Roscoe’!” are heavy contenders for some of the hardest songs of the year with their bass-heavy trap beats and wild performances from Siifu on both tracks. I’m not sure where this comparison comes from, but this album really reminded me of Shabazz Palaces’ album Black Up because of how well mainstream elements and abstract elements are blended on this album here. A murders row of producers like The Alchemist, Butch Dawson, Butcher Brown, Conquest Tony Phillips, and Ted Kamal, among others, are here and give it their all on here. As Siifu himself has said, he’s called this album like “the whole family at the dinner table type shit.”

Pink Siifu has pulled together a pretty rewarding listen here. GUMBO’! is a creative one-of-a-kind album that needs to be heard, along with being one of the best hip-hop albums to come out of the south this year. It feels like Siifu can be one of the most influential artists in abstract hip-hop if he continues with this sound, especially this well. Do not sleep on him.


9/10



Listen here

YouTube Music

Bandcamp (to support the artist directly)




GUMBO’! is a Dynamite Hill release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters