Westside Gunn - Hitler Wears Hermes 8: Sincerely, Adolf (Side A) ALBUM REVIEW

I can’t honestly think of a good intro joke, so I’ll say that Westside Gunn blocked me for saying the cover art for “Easter Gunnday 4” was cool. I’ll never get over that, Alvin.


I feel like I say this for every single Griselda album, but I’ve covered the label enough to say that none of them need an introduction. Westside Gunn definitely falls under that category, since he’s the co-founder of the label. He’s dropped a shit ton of projects over the years, but out of his studio albums, this is only his seventh studio album. Saying that this is only his seventh album says a lot. Either way, this new project here is the latest release in his Hitler Wears Hermes series, Sincerely, Adolf, which is the first half of a double album, with the second half allegedly releasing this October. Along with that, this is the end of the HWH series, Gunn hopefully will be going all out on this double album. Let’s see how the first half holds up.

I feel like a broken record saying that the production on Griselda albums are dark and gritty, but the production on this album is dark and gritty. Gunn has proven time and time again that he’s got his bread and butter and will keep doing it and stick to that formula for as long as he can, but the fans are loving every project he drops, so he just keeps giving them what they want. A big point I could make here is that there isn’t a single solo song on here. Except for an ambient intro, every single song has at least one feature on here. A couple of tracks on here feel like filler, but to make up for it, most of the features on here are pretty nice, especially from Benny, Conway, Mach-Hommy, and Lil Wayne too. I also have to give Stove God Cooks a shoutout, who is all over this entire album. Maybe I’ll finally give some of his projects a shot because of this.

Westside Gunn has dropped a lot within the past few years, and even if this isn’t my favorite project of his, I can’t deny that he’s on his grind and is doing what he does best on here. It reminds me a lot of his older mixtapes from before this newfound popularity and I really appreciate the fact that he’s still adamant about keeping his sound when he hops around labels. Hitler Wears Hermes 8: Sincerely, Adolf (or at least the first half of it) just sounds like a victory lap after a successful 2020, and I’m all here for it.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Hitler Wears Hermes 8: Sincerely, Adolf (Side A) is a Griselda Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters