Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert ALBUM REVIEW

I literally went four months thinking that this album was called Sometimes I Might Be An Introvert only to find out there’s no ‘an.’


Little Simz is an artist that has been praised quite a bit over in the U.K., and I know quite a few American fans too. Her last full-length album, GREY Area, is one of the most praised albums of 2019 and ever since I’ve heard it, I totally understand why. Announced back in the spring, her newest album, Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is highly anticipated by her fans and it’s been highly anticipated by me as well. Unlike most albums that are anticipated by me, I went into this without hearing any singles. It was pretty painful to go four months without listening to it, but I feel like it’s gonna be worth it. So, let’s not waste any more time and get into Sometimes I Might Be Introvert.

Um, how do I start this? To my knowledge, I have never started a review like that before. Okay, I’m just gonna go through the basics. The production here is absolutely gorgeous. It has his grand soundscape fit only for royalty mixed with the jazzy undertones that would make A Tribe Called Quest bonafide superstars in the 1990s. The intro track “Introvert” is seriously one of the best intros to an album I’ve heard in a very long time, and I would’ve never expected this kind of an intro from Simz by any means. Another massive highlight is “Two Worlds Apart,” which has an amazing Smokey Robinson sample, and is one of Simz’s most personal songs yet and let's use that to move into my favorite part of this album.

The writing that Little Simz showcases on pretty much every song on here is pitch-perfect. I don’t say this lightly, but there are moments here that compare to Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly when it comes to her writing and the versatility in one album. I also think that the concept of this album, which touches on what kind of person Simz is and how her introversion has its ups and downs, has been talked about before, but not on this type of scale before. The Crown actress Emma Corrin has a major presence on the album, narrating a couple tracks and on a good amount of the interludes which flesh out this concept more and more. I think the centerpiece of this album is the penultimate track “How Did You Get Here,” which tells the story of how she has grown as an artist, rapper, and storyteller. It’s obvious how much she’s grown, but it’s truly shown on here. The outro “Miss Understood” is just the icing on the cake of being seen as a new person and ready to take on anything.

At one point on the album, the Emma Corrin-voiced godly figure in the album says this: ‘You’re human. Be proud. Your light will shine at the darkest hour. Pressure makes diamonds, do not fold.’ Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is an artist finally reaching that point. Little Simz put so much blood, sweat, tears, time, soul, and pure talent into making this album work as well as it does, and it shows. The mixed emotions that are shown here are hard-hitting, but through all of them, Simz and her collaborators created an experience that makes you feel each and every one. To me, this will be remembered as this decade’s To Pimp A Butterfly and as a masterclass in creating a concept album.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is an AWAL release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters