Grip - I Died For This?! ALBUM REVIEW

No one had to die in this scenario, but go off, I guess.


It’s totally understandable if you don’t know who Grip is. He’s an Atlanta rapper and he’s put out two albums before this, but this album, I Died For This?!, is a big one for him. He was recently signed to Eminem’s Shady Records label and this is his debut project for the label, and with that comes from big-name features from Eminem himself, Royce da 5’9”, and Big Rube, along with Wiley from Atlanta, WARA, Dead Cassettes, Tate228, AHYES, Key Nellz, and Kenny Mason. This project has been gaining a lot of traction on social media, especially from Eminem’s hardcore fans, so I decided to check it out and see how it is. Let’s get into I Died For This?!.

When it comes to the writing, Grip is mainly speaking on his struggles and contemplating every little moment that made him get to the point he’s at in his career. I have to admit, it’s a little standard, but his flows and overall lyricism help keep the attention on him whenever he’s on the mic. I think pretty much all the features delivered, but Eminem has the best feature of his in god knows how long, so that was nice to hear. I also think Kenny Mason has a top-tier feature and is honestly neck-and-neck with Eminem for my favorite feature on the album. On the production side, I think it’s pretty standard for a modern rap project. Not to say that’s a bad thing, but it sounds like someone signed to Shady Records.

Honestly, I think that I Died For This?! is a pretty great entry point for Grip into the mainstream. There’s a lot here to like and he’s got a lot of charisma to boot. I find it nice to hear that a label like Shady Records that is so used to ruining new artists’ integrity (except for a few people) is letting someone as cool as Grip be himself for his first project on the label. I really hope he has a good future on the label because the music is there. Let’s just hope Em uses him well.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




I Died For This?! is a Shady Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters