Poppy - Flux ALBUM REVIEW

With Poppy making and releasing so much music recently, it’s no wonder that this album’s called Flux.


Poppy is one of those artists that really wouldn’t be up my alley on paper. A musician/YouTuber who used to make bubblegum pop and slowly went into a more heavy metal route and actually made one of this decade’s highest acclaimed metal albums so far. That album, I Disagree (and its deluxe reissue), is her most accomplished work yet, and even if I didn’t bring this up in my review of it, many saw her sharp turn to metal as a gimmick. I couldn’t argue those claims, but there was at least artistic merit and value there. Now, after a pretty nice EP called EAT and a noise album, we have her official fourth album, Flux. It’s not really a metal project this time around, mainly because it leans more on alternative rock and shoegaze influences. So, let’s not waste any more time and get into Flux.

Before I get into Poppy herself, I’d like to shine a light on the producer of this album, Justin Meldal-Johnsen. He ended up producing one of the albums I gave a perfect score this year, Deafheaven’s Infinite Granite. The band’s frontman, George Clarke, also has background vocals on the outro track, “Never Find My Place.” I mention that so directly because there are a good amount of similarities between the two albums. Even if I do think this more of a shoegaze album, this is definitely more Paramore than My Bloody Valentine. What I think is the strongest here is Poppy’s writing. I think the quality of the songwriting has jumped up a few bars and makes for her most authentic and even vulnerable work yet. Her vocals are also great, even if there’s less screaming than I had hoped for. That’s absolutely not a bad thing, though, since everything else is so enjoyable.

To the people that thought that this was a gimmick, suck it. Not only is Flux Poppy’s most accomplished and fine-tuned album yet, but it’s also a fucking great time. I’ve learned with this that I shouldn’t doubt Poppy’s artistry. Hell, even after I Disagree, the thought crossed my mind of it being a gimmick even though I love it so much. Flux is a showcase of an artist at their highest point yet, and quite frankly, I’d disagree with you if you didn’t think so.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Flux is a Sumerian release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters