Tommy Genesis - goldilocks x ALBUM REVIEW

If everything was right in the world, she would be a lot more popular.


As much as I’ve listened to her music, I don’t really know a bunch about Tommy Genesis. The first time I heard of her is her self-titled debut album from 2018, but when she really got big was when she had a prominent feature on JPEGMAFIA’s song, “Rough 7.” This happens to be my favorite song from both artists, so I was trying to stay aware of whenever Genesis was gonna drop next. Now, we have that drop, titled goldilocks x. I intentionally avoided listening to the singles because I was just excited to listen to the whole thing. So, let’s not waste any more time and get into goldilocks x.

Now, if I had to describe this album in a word, it’d be sex-positive. Does that even count as one word? I’m gonna make it one word for the sake of reviewing. This thing is raunchy as fuck, and it revels in that. I’d say that this is the album’s defining characteristic. Outside of that, Tommy’s pretty laid back on her delivery for these pop-trap bangers that make for a nice contrast. I also like the transitions between each song. It’s pretty seamless and I’m also pretty sure that little detail comes from her last album too. Her writing’s witty too and she has quite a few quotables, but if I say them here, I’ll be flagged for sexual content and that’s not easy to do on Blogger, so you’ll just have to listen to the songs. However, I do have a few nitpicks. The production here is pretty bland, and while that usually wouldn’t be a problem for such a new artist, she had such an established sound in her debut and she didn’t really diverge from it. That’s just a personal preference of mine, though, mainly because I think she sounds good in the pop-trap realm.

Well, I do think goldilocks x is a fun and raunchy album. Tommy Genesis is simply back on her shit and doing what she does best, and that’s raunchy trap-R&B-pop. While I do wish for a little more experimentation in the future from her, I’m not mad at this one bit.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




goldilocks x is a Downtown release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters