Lady Gaga - Dawn of Chromatica ALBUM REVIEW

If nightcore gets a resurgence because of this album, I won’t know what to feel anymore.


I have a fun history with Lady Gaga on this site. One of my earlier reviews was Gaga’s last studio album, Chromatica, and at the time, I was one of the only people in the middle of it. So many people thought it was either her best album or her worst album ever. It was one of the first reviews I posted on Twitter, so it was pretty insane seeing something so small of mine cause a genuine discourse for the first and definitely not the last time. Either way, we have the often-rumored remix album to that polarizing album, Dawn of Chromatica, and it’s a pretty insane lineup here too. While Ariana Grande, BLACKPINK, and Elton John come over from the original album, we have new remixes of these songs from LSDXOXO, Coucou Chloe, Arca, Rina Sawayama, Clarence Clarity, Pabllo Vittar, Charli XCX, A.G. Cook, Ashnikko, Shygirl, Mura Masa, Doss, Dorian Electra (!!!), Chester Lockhart, Mood Killer, Lil Texas, Planningtorock, Bree Runway, Jimmy Edgar, and Haus Labs. For such a commercial project, there are a bunch of left field artists here that are gonna get a lot more recognition, especially Electra since their music is absolutely divine. So, let’s not waste more time and get into Dawn of Chromatica.

I gotta get something off my chest on this one: I’m not a giant Lady Gaga fan. I mainly enjoy her songs separately, but she really hasn’t hit me as an album artist yet. Who knew a remix of one of her most divisive albums ever would end up hitting the most to me? I enjoy that the smaller and, for lack of a better term, more experimental pop artists are getting such a massive platform, mainly since this is already the most streamed remix album of all time on Spotify. I’d say that most of them end up capitalizing on that potential, especially Dorian Electra with their electrifying (haha) reimagining of “Replay.” Most of this project is a massive injection of serotonin, but the biggest problem I have with this really is one track, and it’s the new version of “Sine From Above,” one of the only songs I actually liked off the original version. I don’t know how nightcore officially made it onto a mainstream pop album, but here we are.

Look, if you’re interested in getting into some experimental and left-field pop acts, Dawn of Chromatica is here for you. If you’re looking for a classic Lady Gaga album and a good amount of songs, I think that this will do the trick. However, this probably won’t turn you into a Gaga fan if you aren’t one already. There are so many good artists featured on here that they’re most certainly gonna have a bigger audience here on out, and that’s great. I see it as mainly that, though.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Dawn of Chromatica is an Interscope release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters