BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory ALBUM REVIEW

More like GOODGOODNOTBAD.


Man, I’ve really been trying to get into modern jazz lately. An album I’ve been listening to a lot recently when it comes to 2021 jazz is Promises, the new album from Floating Points and Pharoah Sanders. It’s definitely growing into an all-time favorite for me in the genre, but there might be some competition now. I don’t know anything about BADBADNOTGOOD, but after singing the praises of Promises, I got recommended that I listen to this when it dropped. Let’s get into Talk Memory and see how it is.

Throughout this album, I’ve really enjoyed how this quartet combines all of the different types of jazz and instrumental hip-hop. Where I think this album stands out the most is its production. I feel like it goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway. Self-production is something that’s always so impressive to me, and there are plenty of artists that don’t get enough credit for it. BADBADNOTGOOD entirely produced this album, like most of their own work, and it’s so so SO good. Floating Points actually makes a few contributions on the opening track, and it’s quite beautiful. Either way, no matter who’s on it, BADBADNOTGOOD has really put something special here together. Not only is this one of the best jazz albums of this year, but it’s also definitely one of the best albums of this year so far.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Talk Memory is an XL Recordings / Innovative Leisure release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters