YoungBoy Never Broke Again - Sincerely, Kentrell ALBUM REVIEW

L + Ratio + yb better


Looking past all of the constant memes about him, I’ve never been a fan of Youngboy’s music. Granted, I do think I was pretty harsh on his last album, Top, mainly because it’s become a pretty big staple among his fanbase. I’ve done my research, and throughout the past five or six years, he’s been consistently dropping music without fail. Even if I’m not a fan of the music, I can appreciate the grind. However, that’s about to come to a grinding halt. At the time of this writing, the rapper’s currently in federal prison for drug possession and is staying there until his trial. The date for the trial is unknown at this time. His last album for at least a while, Sincerely, Kentrell, has been highly anticipated. 21 tracks and no features is a pretty ambitious project for a rapper like him, so let’s just get into it.

Look, if I’m being honest, I kinda feel bad for the guy. I’m not gonna sit here and fully hate on this because there are actually really good parts of this. If you’ve heard his past music before, it’s nothing new. The bangers on here are fueled with energy and Youngboy has a good ear for catchy hooks. The slower tracks have him be more vulnerable and emotional, which was one of the main reasons why his fan base grew so much. They gravitate towards that with him, and for the most part, I prefer it to the harder tracks on this album. It’s public knowledge that he’s been dealing with a lot of mental health issues, and even before he went to prison, he had said that this was gonna be his last project for a few years to focus on his mental health. I can really appreciate that he realizes this, but he’s currently in prison. No matter what kind of artist you are, you really shouldn’t be stuck in a box (literally and figuratively) at such a young age.

This may not have been the standard review, but the music just didn’t hit me as much as I’d like it to. Sincerely, Kentrell has some good songs on here and it’s obvious that where he is right now is just out of his control, and he’s gonna be taking a break for the time being. Who knows, when Youngboy gets out of prison, his life could be totally different. Fans of his are gonna love this project, and even with everything happening with him, I’m pretty glad I at least got a couple of things out of it.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Sincerely, Kentrell is an Atlantic Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters