Young Thug - Punk ALBUM REVIEW

The cover art as a tribute to Octavio Ocampo's Forever Always is an insanely deep cut and I love it.


I think it’s safe to say that Young Thug has become a modern rap icon within the past few years. He has a project among some of my favorite trap projects ever, this one being JEFFREY, and he’s close to always energetic when he’s on the mic. I enjoyed his So Much Fun album from 2019, and when Punk was announced last year, I was elated. Now, with it finally being out for the masses and with no singles released from it, I’m ready to dig into this. Let’s get into Punk and see how it was.

Honestly, this just felt like a damn good victory lap to me. I was pleasantly surprised at how laidback and relaxed most of the songs felt, especially the track with Post Malone and A$AP Rocky, which will probably end up being my favorite track by the end of the year. Having not looked at the tracklist on first listen, hearing Mac Miller on the closing song really hit a note, and he and Thugger make for a pretty nice duo. As for Young Thug, he ended up having consistent performances throughout this whole album, even if some of the songs themselves underwhelmed me. The fusion of alternative, R&B, and trap is something he’s done before, and while it isn’t the country tones of Beautiful Thugger Girls, I think Punk stands on its own for the unique soundscapes and collaborations.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Punk is a YSL / Atlantic Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters