Drake - HONESTLY, NEVERMIND ALBUM REVIEW

It's kinda crazy that this is so divisive, to be honest.


You knew this was coming, right? You know who Drake is, so there’s no reason to give an intro. Drake’s been dropping a project a year since 2015, and that period has had Drake’s highs and lows of his career. Personally, I’ve been wanting a full album of R&B tracks like “Passionfruit” for a very long time, and I hoped for that in last year’s Certified Lover Boy, but even if we didn’t get that, I still didn’t mind it. For once, I seemed to be in the minority on a positive opinion. Now, we have HONESTLY, NEVERMIND, and while I’m hyped for it, we really don’t have a lot of things to go over. It’s a new Drake album. Let’s get into HONESTLY, NEVERMIND.

Right off the bat, this has been dividing not just the critics, but the fans. I’ve been seeing both positive and negative responses from quite literally everyone. As I’ve stated above, an R&B album from Drake is best-case scenario for me, and at some point, I figured that simply wouldn’t happen. I just got used to the idea of Drake always making rap and R&B tracks on an album and I’d pick and choose out of it. Out of nowhere, we not only have an entirely R&B album but a house album. Kind of. The inclusion of house/Afrobeats producer Black Coffee, alongside Drake’s usual team like 40 and Oliver El-Khabib, is very important to the album. I’m fully okay with this being repetitive and doing the same songs over and over again because, if I’m being honest, I’ve been wanting this kind of album from Drake for a while. Even if the last track, “Jimmy Cooks” with 21 Savage, is cool, it just felt really out of place because of its trap sound. Is it an experimental album? No, but it’s kind of left field for Drake. Is this my favorite project of his? No, but for me, it's up there. The bottom line is this: Drake went out of his comfort zone, and for the most part, it clicked really well for me. Let me just say end it with this: HONESTLY, NEVERMIND is the most I’ve enjoyed a Drake project in a very long time. Drake finally takes a risk and it mostly pays off.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




HONESTLY, NEVERMIND is an OVO Sound release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters