Elucid - I Told Bessie ALBUM REVIEW

I honestly hope the dog’s okay.


Admittedly, this is the first time I’m listening to an Elucid project when it drops. I’ve always been a fan of his, but outside of his last solo outing, Dirtee Deacon, I don’t know much of his solo work. Of course, I’m a fan of Armand Hammer, his duo with billy woods, and I’ll always be tuning in to whatever they drop. Now, we have the latest from Elucid, I Told Bessie. Let’s get into how I thought about it.

What I think shines here the most is Elucid’s writing. It’s pretty dark yet beautifully haunting and the intricacies of the lyrics are only matched by his Armand Hammer counterpart. His flow on here is pretty out there and unorthodox, and that makes for a pretty surreal listen. The experimental, sample-laden beats are also insanely experimental and grimy, which also shows how in-tune Elucid’s beat selection is throughout. The abstract feeling of the album and the loose concept of tackling his own identity is compelling from that standpoint as well. Honestly, I Told Bessie just worked in all the right ways for me. It’s finally time that we give the respect that Elucid has deserved.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




I Told Bessie is a Backwoodz Studioz release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters