UMI - Forest in the City ALBUM REVIEW

I’m just curious to know how this cover was made.


Honestly, this is another scenario where I don’t know a single thing about this artist. However, I do know that UMI has a very good cover of Frank Ocean’s “Self Control,” which I’ll link here. Another thing I noticed from this album, Forest in the City, is that she wrote every song on this project. I’ll have to look and see if this is true for the rest of her projects, but I do like a good R&B album when I find one. So, let’s just get into Forest in the City.

I’ll start off with this: I enjoy UMI’s writing the most on this project, mainly because it seems very genuine, and that’s a big piece of getting into R&B when it comes to my taste in the genre. I also think that shows when she sings in Japanese and seamlessly transitions to English, and that’s where the creativity in this shines. I can hear the influences here like Brandy and Erykah Badu, but it doesn’t feel like she’s wearing them on her sleeve and is carving her own path. The production here is also very pretty and the marriage between this and UMI’s vocals go over beautifully. It also seems like UMI knows exactly who she wants to be when it comes to her career, and that’s something I really do appreciate, especially since this is her debut album. It’s a damn-near perfect debut, actually. Overall, Forest in the City is an absolutely gorgeous debut. UMI kicks off what I hope is an exciting career.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Forest in the City is a Keep Cool / RCA Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters