girl in red - if i could make it go quiet ALBUM REVIEW

it honestly really bothers me when people type like this, but for the sake of artistry, i will keep the artist and album name in all lowercase letters.


Marie Ulven, better known as girl in red, has been an anomaly in music to me. Bedroom pop is a genre that’s usually right up my alley, and if done right, tracks about mental health can be very impactful. I’ve liked some of her earlier tracks, especially “we fell in love in october.” She’s already been winning Norwegian Grammys (or a Spellemannprisen), but why am I not more excited for her first studio album? That’s where the anomaly comes in. I’ve heard all the singles from this and I’ve liked all of them, but now that the album’s out, I just haven’t been as excited as I thought. Who knows, maybe when I sit down and write out my thoughts, they’ll finally form. Let’s speak about if i could make it go quiet.

Let me start off by saying that Ulven is a decent songwriter. My favorite single and overall track from this, “Serotonin,” is a very good track about depression. There are some VERY BAD tracks about mental health and depression out there, so I’m glad that this was a bit of a change of pace. I’m gonna get the worst tracks out of the way on here, and those are "hornylovesickmess" and "you stupid bitch." These lyrics, man. I don’t think I can excuse any of these. Ulven writes her lyrics where they’re very direct, and while it does work in some instances, it just doesn’t on these tracks. It’s almost like that Robin Thicke song “Blurred Lines” where I can never tell if she’s being serious about what she’s writing, and if she is, it’s borderline creepy. If I feel like I’m being scolded while listening to music, it’s just not a fun vibe sometimes. A big highlight for me on this is the closing track “it would feel like this,” which is just an instrumental track. It’s definitely a surprise, but a welcome one to me. It felt like the credits rolling to an album, and it’s something I can appreciate an artist like her to do on a debut album.

if i could make it go quiet is a little conflicted. While girl in red certainly gives off a great amount of emotion in her performances, her songwriting does need improvement in different areas. I feel like if she can move towards more emotional performances like what was done in “midnight love” and “apartment 402,” she could stand out a whole lot more in this new wave of bedroom pop artists. This album is fine, but it honestly could’ve been so much more than this.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




if i could make it go quiet is an AWAL release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters