Jorja Smith - Be Right Back EP REVIEW

Since I just watched some Alpharad videos, I could only think of Dr. Bustdown while listening to this.


I like R&B. I tend to gravitate to the 70s-80s R&B like Marvin Gaye, but I always like to give this new generation a shot. Jorja Smith is definitely one of the newer artists that caught my eye when I first heard her on the Black Panther soundtrack, and when I listened to her debut album Lost & Found, I was instantly captivated. She has such an amazing voice with a lot of emotion, and because of those reasons, it made her into a name to watch for in R&B. Now, I’ve been waiting for her second album for a while now, and to tide the wait, she’s just dropped an EP aptly titled Be Right Back. I don’t have any reason to doubt her talent, so this is a pretty exciting drop. Let’s get into it.

Again, let me say that Smith sounds fantastic on this whole project. Like on her debut, you can feel the weight in her voice and just how talented of a singer she really is. Outside of that, that’s pretty much all I got. This feels like a little collection of demos that would have never been released on the next album, so she kept them as that and dropped this sort of lengthy EP for the world to enjoy. If I had to name a favorite track, it’d have to be “Time” simply because it was Smith’s best vocal performance on here. The production feels very stripped back and demo-quality, and while that’s usually not a bad thing, it just feels very underwhelming when it comes to new Jorja Smith music.

Simply put, Be Right Back is Jorja Smith by the numbers. She’s sticking to the formula on this one, and that’s a positive thing. This doesn’t hurt my overall anticipation for her next big album, but it does leave me worried that she won’t try to get creative. I think artists should always be trying to push the genre they’re in to see what they can do rather than just color inside the lines, and I’d love to see what she can do in the future.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Be Right Back is a FAMM release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters