Iceage - Seek Shelter ALBUM REVIEW

How does Gene Simmons say that rock music is dead but we have bands like this working?


I’ve been telling you that I’ve been moving into post-punk music, right? If you haven’t seen my high praises for the new Squid and Black Country, New Road albums, I’m a new fan to the genre. I’ve also been listening to a lot of Iceage, a band that most fans of the genre consider to be one of the more consistent groups of the bunch. Their latest project, Seek Shelter, is set to be another entry into their discography that will please longtime fans, along with bringing in some new ones. I’m in the latter of this crowd, although I’ve heard most of their albums beforehand. How is Seek Shelter? Let’s find out.

To new fans, this is just a new album to check out, but for someone who’s listened and relatively enjoyed a bulk of Iceage’s music, this is a pretty big switch in sound for them. Yes, it still has a dark and gothic vibe, but now there are elements of country, Americana, and even some mainstream alt-rock. My favorite track off this project is most likely “Gold City,” mainly because I like a good harmonica, but outside of the harmonica, it sounds like if newer alt-rock had more of a Heartland vibe. Another track that stood out to me was “Love Kills Slowly,” which reminds me of an old Radiohead song with its dark piano chords and a pretty devastating chorus. I also want to shout out the vocals on this project. Vocalist Elias Bender Rønnenfelt did a pretty good job and was consistent throughout most of the record, really holding up some of the more sub-par lyrics on here.

I think that Seek Shelter is a pretty different album for Iceage, and that’s a great thing. I honestly prefer their older stuff to this, but I can really appreciate the artistry going down on here. They have brought in new genres to the table without sacrificing what makes them unique. While I can appreciate it, I’ll most likely go back to their other material before this.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Seek Shelter is a Mexican Summer release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters