Squid - Bright Green Field ALBUM REVIEW

There are sadly no sea creatures involved in this album :(


Call me crazy, but this post-punk craze in 2021 has been a tiny bit underwhelming. Bands like Idles and Shame have had decent records in the past few months, but what really picked up the scene for me was Black Country, New Road’s debut record For the first time. That album is one of my favorites of the year so far and has really inspired me to dive into the post-punk scene. When I had entered this scene, I had heard rumbles of a relatively new band, Squid. They had dropped a few singles from this album, Bright Green Field, and I decided to intentionally avoid them, just like I did with For the first time. Simply put, I had to give this a few extra listens before I sat down and wrote this out. Is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? Let me tell you.

Going in without listening or even knowing the singles from this album was a pretty great decision. God, this album is catchy as fuck. My favorite track off this was “Narrator” with Martha Skye Murphy, which might have blown my mind the first time I heard it. Honestly, I could say that most of the tracks on here did that. It’s pretty much an all-out assault of manic guitar licks, endlessly catchy instrumentals, and pretty insane vocals. The catchiness of the album doesn’t throw off the pure insanity of the record. It’s almost a Talking Heads level of catchiness. Many of the songs have been stuck in my head since listening to it for the first time.

Bright Green Field isn’t gonna be for everyone, but 2021 has been a pretty insane year for music already. Only one album in, Squid have been trailblazing their own path in a crowded genre. It’s pretty impressive to hear it, and while it isn’t my favorite in the genre this year, Bright Green Field is an outstanding staple in 2021’s post-punk output.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Bright Green Field is a Warp release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters