Weezer - Van Weezer ALBUM REVIEW

Let it sink in that this was supposed to come out a year ago…


Weezer has been one of the most overrated bands to me for the longest time. I’ve tried my hardest to like some of their music, but I just couldn’t do it. I understand that they’re a beloved alternative band, but come on, I don’t get the appeal of this nerdy power pop band. A big red flag for me during the lead up to Van Weezer was that this was supposed to come out ONE YEAR AGO. Literally, the first single came out at the end of 2019. I listened to their album from earlier this year OK Human, and it was actually alright. They were considering that album as a little side album to feed the fans before this big release, and honestly, OK Human actually convinced me that I should actually sit down and write a review on Van Weezer. Let’s sit down and sift through this, shall we?

Let me throw some positives into the air first. It seems like Weezer are still really passionate about music and don’t sound bored on this project. They also still have a sense of humor, even if it isn’t as hard-hitting as it has in the past. It also feels like they sometimes know that their newer projects aren’t as great as the stuff that made them into household names. Oh, Rivers, you comedian. Anyways, let’s hit on the songs. They all have this stadium-size feel, like Queen’s most popular songs. At some points, there’s even clapping and cheering in the background to make it seem like this is a live album. Along with that, there’s also some vocals to sort of engage the listener to cheer and sing along…? I’m personally not a fan of putting this stuff into studio albums, and it’s EVERYWHERE on this album. If I had to pick out my favorite moment from this, it’d have to be “Blue Dream.” It’s just a parody of Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” and I think it knows it. If it doesn’t, um, wow. That’s not too good. This album is also a tribute to Eddie Van Halen, who passed away last year. Rivers and company kind of rip them off too, but it’s under the veil of a tribute. It’s pretty bad.

Okay, hear me out on this one. I think Weezer is a bit of a sellout now, and they know it too. Van Weezer is proof of this, and since I think they know this, they’re just having fun and not really trying that hard anymore. While there is a little bit of respect in that area, I just hope they have one good album in them because mainly, you should be putting all of your effort into each album. Van Weezer is dismal.


2/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Van Weezer is an Atlantic Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters