Shelley FKA DRAM - Shelley FKA DRAM ALBUM REVIEW

Oddly enough, I ate some broccoli when I listened to this album.


Dude, you have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for this album. It hasn’t been high up on my list of anticipated projects, but god dammit, I’m so excited about this. Shelley is one of those artists that I’ve been dying to drop at some point. If you don’t know the name Shelley, you’d know the name DRAM. You remember “Broccoli” with Lil Yachty? Yes, that guy. Shelley FKA DRAM is his first studio effort in five years, and he’s quite different since we last heard him. Coming with the name change, Shelley has introduced a more sophisticated and even seductive sound that could work very well with his new image. Let’s get right into it, shall we?

If you were (or still are) a fan of his breakout tracks like “Cute” or the aforementioned “Broccoli,” you’re not gonna find anything like that here. Changing to his stage name comes a new sound: classic 90s R&B. He isn’t really reinventing the wheel here, but it’s still a smooth and pristine kind of R&B that I have a very soft spot for. A section of the album that I’d love to highlight is the collaborations on this. There are three of them: Summer Walker, H.E.R. & WATT, and Erykah Badu. All of these work in a way that I genuinely cannot explain in words. Although, the one thing I’d wanna speak about negatively is that this doesn’t sound like Shelley’s past projects. Well, now that I think about it, the name change would have signified something different, and this is different, so prove me wrong, I guess.

Shelley FKA DRAM is a very engaging listen from front to back. Shelley’s raw vocal talents alone are enough to bring in new listeners, but when backed up with smooth production and amazing collaborations, it makes for an amazing reinvention for one of the most underappreciated artists working right now. Go listen to this album, please.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Shelley FKA DRAM is an Empire release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters