Róisín Murphy - Crooked Machine ALBUM REVIEW

The crayons on the cover are just not that pleasing to me, just saying.


You remember when the disco revival was going down last year? Dua Lipa, Jessie Ware, Kylie Minogue, and Katy Perry were all getting in on that trend. In all of that whirlwind was an album that completely slipped under my radar: Róisín Murphy’s Róisín Machine. I only heard it earlier this year, and while I thought it was good, I just simply enjoyed Dua Lipa’s album better. Now, when I had heard that there was a reinvention of this album coming out this year, I had to see what was going down. Crooked Machine is a remixed version of Róisín Machine, and instead of a futuristic new take on disco, her frequent collaborator Richard Barratt decided to move into a completely different direction: house. Specifically, deep house. It’s very unexpected, but something that caught my eye enough to write about it. Who knows, this review will most likely flop, but I hope it doesn’t. Let’s get into Crooked Machine.

As stated, Crooked Machine takes a much more minimalist, psychedelic, and modern approach to the original album. It also does feel like a sister record to Róisín Machine, and definitely more than it being a remix album. It tells the story of the aftermath of the party that’s told in Róisín Machine, and for what Crooked is, it’s massive. It’s 9 tracks and nearly an hour long, and while it did feel like a chore to get through simply because of each track’s runtime, it simply just didn’t connect with me as much as I wanted it to.

I hate how little I have to write about this. I feel very indifferent to Crooked Machine simply because this just isn’t my favorite kind of music. I typically don’t listen to this, so that would make my opinion invalid on this album, but hey, I’ll still listen to this because it’s kind of good for what it is.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Crooked Machine is a Mickey Murphy’s Daughter release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters