Slaughter Gang & 21 Savage - Spiral EP REVIEW

Slaughter Gang doing a horror movie soundtrack is so perfect, it’s unbelievable it hasn’t happened sooner.


For those that don’t know, I’m a bit of a film buff. Since I’m fully vaccinated and theaters are starting to open back up where I live, I’ve been to the theaters a little more. I saw Mortal Kombat and I thought it was just okay, and at the time of me writing this, I’m actually going to see Army of the Dead tonight. A few days ago, I also saw Spiral, the new SAW film with Chris Rock. Once it came out that 21 Savage is executive producing a soundtrack to the film, my excitement for the movie just went through the roof. Admittedly, I was disappointed to see that it was just an EP, but maybe this could mean that it’s the best of the best. Not only is 21 Savage heavily involved, his group Slaughter Gang have a posse track too. How did this little side-project for 21 go? Let’s find out.

Now, let me just come right out of the gate and say that this is no Black Panther soundtrack. It’s only four tracks long, and it starts off perfectly with 21’s title track. “Spiral” was released as the only single to the EP, and HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO GOOD. If you watched the full-length trailer for the film, you could hear snippets of it. This also plays in the credits of the movie, but DAMN. 21 absolutely kills it and is one of the best songs of the year so far. Take the iconic “Hello Zepp” theme (dun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun), place a grimey trap beat over it, and it’s honestly pretty genius. I wish I could say that about the other songs, though. Young Nudy’s track “You Ain’t Hard” is still good, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not as hard-hitting as the track that came before it. “Down Bad” with Real Recognize Rio, 21 Lil Harold, SG Tip, and Millie Go Lightly is honestly the weakest track here, even if the SAW references are fun. The final track, “Emergency” with 21, Gunna, and Young Thug, is pretty entertaining albeit gloomy. I just still don’t get the appeal of Gunna, though.

Spiral is a fittingly savage collection of horror-inspired tracks that get straight to the point. Bolstered by a stunning single from 21 Savage, the rest of the EP comes up short compared to it. If you’re seeing Spiral, you’re gonna hear these songs anyway, but they’re fun and entertaining while they’re on.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Spiral is an Epic Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters