Black Dresses - Forget Your Own Face ALBUM REVIEW

There’s a lot of output for a band that’s broken up, you know.


Look, I don’t need to get into Black Dresses too much. Technically, they aren’t even a band anymore. Ada Rook and Devi McCallion broke up Black Dresses in 2020 after fan harassment, and after that, they decided to not be a band but drop music together anyway under the Black Dresses name. I still really don’t know what that means, but hey, we’re getting music out of it. Last year’s Forever In Your Heart is one of my favorite experimental releases of 2021, and honestly, I expect nothing different from this one. Let’s not waste any more time and get into Forget Your Own Face.

To compare it to another one of their releases, I’d say it’s most similar to one of their first projects as a group, HELL IS REAL. That’s a more abrasive project, and I’ve called each Black Dresses project I’ve reviewed loud, but I mean it when I say that this album is *loud.* There are points where it could even be categorized as a noise album. The vocals from Rook are once again batshit insane, and there’s even a flow to it that I haven’t heard her use on any of her work yet. It’s very unique. Honestly, I don’t know if I have much else to say about Forget Your Own Face. Black Dresses bring new energy to their second post-breakup album.


8/10


Listen here

Bandcamp (to support the artist directly)




Forget Your Own Face is self-released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters