Kanye West - Donda 2 ALBUM REVIEW

I know there’s no official cover art for this, but I had to put something there to complete the aesthetic. It was bothering me too much.


As a Kanye West fan, I feel like it’s become very difficult to defend him as of late. Hell, the jeen-yuhs documentary airing on Netflix right now is genuinely fantastic, but still, the actions of Ye now are really affecting how I can enjoy his content now. Especially after last year’s Donda, which my view of has dimmed just a tiny bit, it’s been tough to figure out what’s been going on with him personally. I don’t think we’re gonna get that with Donda 2, which was only released onto his $200 Stem Player ‘platform.’ Of course, stuff like that is set to leak, and here I am reviewing it. So, let’s see if we can separate the artist from the art one more time.

Let me just say this right off the bat: This album is unfinished. It’s not unfinished in the way Ye’s own The Life of Pablo is, where its messiness benefits the experience. This is unfinished in the way that this needed much more time to sit and fix just some little things. It’s very possible that these errors could be fixed since there are rumors of Ye wanting to change and add more tracks in the future. If those changes come, there will be an updated review of this album. Another big thing about this is the title: Donda 2. It immediately invites comparison to the first, and if I’m being totally honest, I still prefer the first one. There are songs on the first Donda that seems finished, mainly because they are finished. Here, there are some very decent tracks like both songs that feature the late XXXTENTACION and the fan-favorite “Pablo,” but along with the decent beats, Ye himself is just too asleep at the wheel.

Going back to jeen-yuhs for a second, Pharrell Williams gives Ye advice after hearing “Through The Wire” for the first time. He says that he has to keep this hunger and the same perspective he has on life or he’ll fail. Sure, his perspective has changed throughout his ever-changing life, and most of the music reflected that. Even Jesus Is King reflected that new perspective, even if it isn’t my favorite project from him. On this version of Donda 2, he’s lost that complacency. The thing that made Ye himself and what we love him for just seems to be gone now. A few of my friends thought that about the first Donda, but I still defended that album because it has some type of artistic vision and even coherent songs. Save for a couple tracks, I can’t defend Donda 2. Kanye West has put out some of his messiest and, sadly, worst music yet.


4/10




Donda 2 is a G.O.O.D. Music release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters