Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You ALBUM REVIEW

Getting some Fantastic Mr. Fox vibes on this one.


Big Thief has always interested me, but what really caught my attention was lead singer Adrianne Lenker’s solo album from last year, songs. I just loved her voice and writing style, and after listening to some of Big Thief’s work, it translated very well to the band. Ever since then, I’ve been anticipating whatever Lenker or Big Thief would do next, and we have that in the form of a new double album, Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You. It’s a mouthful, I know, but if it’s anything like the group’s other albums, we’re in for a good time. Let’s get into it.

Right off the bat, I’ll say that this is a massive album. It’s 20 tracks and a little over 80 minutes long, but miraculously, I wouldn’t cut a single song from this. It’s almost like a jam session happening while you’re sitting around a warm campfire with the group, pretty much like the cover art. Like I said earlier, Lenker’s songwriting and vocals carry over from other projects, and the somewhat new production and instrumentation for the group make each song feel alive, whether it’s individual or as an entire body of work. Overall, Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You is a monumental achievement. Big Thief go back to their roots to make one of their most realized worlds yet.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You is a 4AD release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters