Mitski - Laurel Hell ALBUM REVIEW

Why is everyone saying this is called Laurel Hell? I’m definitely seeing Yanny Hell over here.


Mitski has been an artist that has just been a little cool for me for a while. Yes, I adore Bury Me at Makeout Creek, Puberty 2, and Be the Cowboy, but I’ve never really thought of Mitski as an artist I tend to go back to as often as some other artists I like. However, there seems to be a divide with this new project of hers, Laurel Hell. This is mainly coming from the sonic direction of the album, which includes more electronics and a whole lot of synthesizers. Either way, the singles from this intrigued me, so let’s not waste any more time and get into Laurel Hell.

Look, let’s just get started with the positives. I think, as always, her vocals shine through quite a bit through the new sound and this new combo works surprisingly well. Even with the more synthesized production choices, it feels just a tiny bit forced. I'm sure that Mitski wanted this albums’s sound to go in this direction and it wasn’t forced by a record company or anything, but the sound just feels a little forced in general. However, there’s one aspect that I think was lacking in this album, and it just happens to be what I think is the best part about Mitski: her writing. It just felt like it takes a backseat to everything else in the album and is overwhelmed by everything else. Not to say that they’re bad, but it’s an integral part of Mitski as an artist to me that I think was overlooked. Overall, though, I think people are blowing Laurel Hell way out of proportion. Mitski’s comeback album is a solid album, but could have been so much more.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Laurel Hell is a Dead Oceans release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters