Beach House - Once Twice Melody ALBUM REVIEW

I’m all for artistic choice, but the gold frame missing on the left side is pissing me off personally.


I have a weirdly specific story of how I came to find out about Beach House. When I was a kid, I went to the library a lot to look through the CDs to see what they had. Most of the time, they had the duo’s 2013 album depression cherry on the shelf. I’d take it around and hold it often because it had a felt packaging. To this day, it’s something about that physical release, and the album itself, that I feel is weirdly nostalgic for me. Why do I say ‘weirdly?’ Mainly because it’s the only Beach House album I’ve heard up to this point. I don’t know why I never went back and listened to their other albums, I just haven’t yet. Maybe the weird sectioned release strategy of their newest album, Once Twice Melody, should’ve done it, but that’s just me. Either way, I waited until the whole album was out to review this one, and it’s finally here. Let’s get into Once Twice Melody.

I stated earlier that this had a weird release strategy. How this was released was that from November until now, four EPs were released and once they were all out, they made up the entire album. It’s a little weird, but I think that it kept this album in the back of my mind, mainly because I probably would’ve forgotten about this album if it were released in any other way. The music itself, though, is something else entirely. I will say that it’s a teeny bit too long and I could probably cut a couple songs from this. Out of the Beach House songs I’ve heard outside of this album, though, I think the production on this is much better, even if Victoria Legrand’s vocals are a little softer this time around. I know I don’t have a lot of other thoughts on this album right now, but I do hope Once Twice Melody grows on me. Beach House undoubtedly put out one of their riskier albums, but I personally am hoping for more.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Once Twice Melody is a Sub Pop release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters