Earl Sweatshirt - Sick! ALBUM REVIEW

If an album title ends with an exclamation point, you’re in for something else.


Look, I gotta throw something out there. Out of all the artists that I’ve been waiting to drop, this is on the level of Kendrick Lamar dropping to me. I’m so fucking pumped for this album. It’s no secret that Earl Sweatshirt is one of my favorite rappers in recent memory. The one-two punch of Some Rap Songs and Feet of Clay is some of the best the 2010s have to offer. Recently, he’s been on a hot streak of features on songs mainly from The Alchemist, Boldy James, Armand Hammer, Navy Blue, and Roc Marciano, among many others. Now, nearly four years (and a scrapped project titled The People Can Fly) later, we now have Sick!, the first official full-length album from Earl since 2018. How does it sound? Let’s get into it.

Along with quite a few artists, Earl has become an artist that I need to listen to a couple times before forming my overall thoughts on an album. Like his past two projects, Sick! is no different. Even after a few listens, I’m happy to admit that I haven’t exactly grasped the full concept yet. Why am I happy to say this? It’s like finding a needle in a haystack, just like with his earlier Some Rap Songs. Right when the idea of the album clicks, it all makes sense. I could put some pieces together from some of the verses and elements of the cover like pills, garlic, and what I think is sage being ways of moving forward in life and healing. Either way, I’m very excited to glean more and more from this album. From a musical standpoint, though, this is great, and some of this is Earl’s best work yet. As always, his writing is absolutely incredible, the production is also fantastic, and the features from ZelooperZ and Armand Hammer meld incredibly well with the project’s versatile sound. Overall, Sick! is yet another great album in an already great catalog. The sounds expanded upon from Some Rap Songs make up some of Earl Sweatshirt’s best work yet.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Sick! is a Tan Cressida / Warner release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters