King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3001 ALBUM REVIEW

I provided the extra butterfly, by the way.


I’ve been sitting here for almost 15 minutes now, trying to think of a good way to start this. So, I guess I’ll say that King Gizz is one of the most versatile groups I’ve heard in a minute. I may be repeating myself at this point, but they’re always going to keep my attention whenever they drop a project. That being said, their last full project, Butterfly 3000, has grown on me since its release, but I’m pretty surprised that there’s a remix album for this project out of all of the Gizz albums. To my knowledge, I don’t think the band was fully involved in this side project, but Butterfly 3001 has the possibility of being caught in my net. With contributions from DJ Shadow, DāM-FunK, and The Flaming Lips among others, there could be some good stuff in here. Let’s get into it.

This is one of the cases that I’m probably just going to appreciate that it’s a thing that exists. I do think that Butterfly 3000 is a pretty good King Gizz album to remix, and whether it’s a good thing or not to you, I think Butterfly 3000 is one of the group’s less experimental albums, so a remix album of this specific Gizz album wouldn’t be too bad. Unfortunately, I just thought a lot of this was middling. There is a lot of variety, and I especially liked the Flaming Lips’ take on “Ya Love,” but that’s really all I got out of this project. It’s very weird to stop at just that, I know, but I have surprisingly less to say than I thought I would. It may just be because I was never a giant fan of the source material, but I’m gonna assume that there are gonna be people out there that love this. To me, Butterfly 3001 is a cool companion piece to the original album. King Gizz takes a back seat to their collaborators.


5/10


Listen here

YouTube Music

Bandcamp (to support the artist directly)




Butterfly 3001 is a KGLW release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters