Gunna - DS4EVER ALBUM REVIEW

Alright, I’ll just say it now. The cover goes hard.


Gunna is a rapper that hasn’t really clicked for me yet, and honestly, I don’t know if he ever will. I’d like to be wrong at some point, but personally, I don’t see the hype he gets. On features, he isn’t horrible, but I just think he sounds real bland on most of the songs he releases that are just him. If I’m being honest, I typically listen to his solo stuff for the features. However, I do feel cautiously optimistic about DS4EVER, the final project in his Drip Season series that helped put him on the map. Will this be the time he finally gets my attention? Let’s get into it and see.

Let me start with some praise. The production here is pretty star-studded and it’s actually pretty great. The beat on “livin wild” is insanely catchy and it’s probably my favorite song on this whole album. Most of the features, if not all of them, deliver great contributions too. 21 Savage continues his streak of great feature verses, Chlöe Bailey also has a great feature, and even Kodak Black has his most listenable verse since “ZEZE.” However, that’s where the praise stops for me. On this project, Gunna really doesn’t have the energy I think is needed for most of these songs. Sure, he sounds good on a couple tracks, but this album is way too long for me to sit through and not be tempted to listen to another song or go back to “livin wild.” Overall, DS4EVER really didn’t hit as much as I had hoped. Even when backed with great production, Gunna doesn’t do enough to keep me interested.


5/10



Listen here

YouTube Music




DS4EVER is a Young Stoner Life / 300 Entertainment release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters