The Weeknd - Dawn FM ALBUM REVIEW

If I haven’t said it yet, happy new year! And cheers to some great new music this year!


Alright, it stands to reason that I’m a massive fan of The Weeknd. Before the tour refunded my tickets, I had nice seats at the After Hours tour, but I’m hoping to get those seats back when he comes back to my area. Either way, a release of this magnitude in the first week of the new year is generally unheard of in this day and age. I’m not complaining, but I was gonna be on a break for a couple weeks, but Abel over here decided to drop an entire fucking album. After The Weeknd’s massive After Hours era, he comes back in to give us a sister album to it, Dawn FM. He has many big names coming with him, and not just in the music world. Tyler, the Creator, Lil Wayne, Oneohtrix Point Never, Quincy Jones, and Jim Carrey come along the ride this time. Let’s not waste any more time and get into the first big release of 2022, Dawn FM.

I’d say that the biggest inclusion on the musical end is the extensive contributions from Oneohtrix Point Never. He pulls from nearly all the work he’s done, including from his Chuck Person project, which is considered the birth of vaporwave, and he really produced his ass off for this album and he deserves just as much credit as The Weeknd is going to get for this. As for the concept of this album, it’s an interesting one. Out of what I could pull from it, 103.5 DAWN FM is a radio station that helps lead you to the After Life. Jim Carrey is the DJ of the station and The Weeknd is providing the music for the station. There are a good amount of highlights here, especially within the first half of the album and some of them could even make up for some of his best work yet. I do think the second half is a little weaker, but it does have my favorite song on this entire album, “Less Than Zero,” which I think is the “Save Your Tears” of this album. As a whole, Dawn FM is a wonderful way to start 2022. Teaming up with Oneohtrix Point Never and Jim Carrey, The Weeknd cements himself as the most important figure in pop music working today.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Dawn FM is an XO / Republic Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters