Charli XCX - CRASH ALBUM REVIEW

This album cover is already iconic, no matter the quality of the album.


I genuinely have no clue on how to start this review. Charli XCX is an artist that I admire from an artistic standpoint but really hasn’t connected with me that much. The closest I’ve connected to that music was her last album, how i’m feeling now, but that may just be because it was released at the start of the pandemic and that album is so tied to that time. Even with liking some of the singles from this new album CRASH, this has been getting a pretty divided response. Let’s get into what my thoughts on this are.

Right off the bat, I think I know what the biggest issue was with this album for me. The production on this just didn’t hit me at all. I know it’s popular to hate on this because it’s a more standard pop project compared to her other albums, but there are very good producers here like A.G. Cook and Oneohtrix Point Never on this. It just seems way too amateur to come out like this. I also just think that some of this wasn’t that catchy to me. There are some things here that I like, though. I think Charli’s voice is overall very good on this, and the features are pretty good too. I think her writing’s just as good too, but even if it’s still kinda fun to me, there are just some huge flaws that I can’t look past. Overall, CRASH is alright. Charli XCX comes back to basics with some mixed yet fun results.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




CRASH is an Asylum / Warner release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters