Ada Rook - UGLY DEATH NO REDEMPTION ANGEL CURSE I LOVE YOU ALBUM REVIEW

The hoodie with this cover on it is incredible.


Ada Rook has been on my radar for a while now. Even if I haven’t covered her solo work just yet, I’ve covered some of her work already. She was one half of the duo Black Dresses, which I’ve reviewed their last two albums, and she mastered Backxwash’s last album I LIE HERE BURIED WITH MY RINGS AND MY DRESSES. Ever since this project’s been announced, it’s been one of my most anticipated releases of this year. With a surprise drop that I learned about a day after it was released, UGLY DEATH NO REDEMPTION ANGEL CURSE I LOVE YOU is here. Let’s get into how I felt about it.

If I had to describe this project in a word, it’d be crunchy because HOLY SHIT this is a loud project. I typically don’t mention mixing and mastering in my reviews, but it’s worth mentioning because I like the angle of just how grimy this is and it just feels dirty and buried into the Earth. When it comes to the writing, this was the album that made me realize how good of a pop songwriter Rook is. If you strip down all of the abrasive elements, this could make a pretty good pop album. It’s actually inspired me to go back to other projects she’s worked on to see if they’re the same, whether they’re her own solo work or the other Black Dresses projects. Honestly, I’m not gonna ruin the surprises of this project: UGLY DEATH NO REDEMPTION ANGEL CURSE I LOVE YOU is a wonderful, headbanging project. Ada Rook continues to raise the bar for herself.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music

Bandcamp (to support the artist directly)




UGLY DEATH NO REDEMPTION ANGEL CURSE I LOVE YOU is self-released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters