MUST DIE! - CRISIS VISION ALBUM REVIEW

If CD Projekt Red weren’t so safe, they would’ve made something like this the box art for Cyberpunk 2077 and I would’ve loved it.


You thought dubstep was a dormant genre? Well, guess what? I’m here to bring it back into the spotlight. Or streetlight, my audience isn’t THAT big yet. Either way, I actually had this recommended to me by a friend of mine who’s really in the EDM/dubstep scene. After doing some research, MUST DIE! has actually been a pretty big force in the late stages of dubstep as a genre, working with the likes of Flux Pavilion, Zomboy, and even Skrillex. He’s been cementing himself as a pretty big figure not only in dubstep but in electronic music as a whole. His second studio album, CRISIS VISION, would’ve usually left no impression as I went onto the next project, but there was something about this that I just had to speak about. Collaborators on here include Akeos, Skream, IMANU, The Pom-Poms, Link, and onumi (I actually know who this is, and her stuff is fucking great). Let’s get into it.

I do think I have a bit of an advantage with this review, if I’m being honest. Before listening to this, I haven’t heard a single second of MUST DIE!’s music, much less even heard of him. Going into a genre I used to know quite a bit about after a few years is very strange, since this is the first time I’m actually writing about a dedicated electronic album. That being said, I can’t believe this guy made screeching synths pleasant to listen to. Really, that’s a very strange and important achievement that doesn’t happen often. Good on you, MUST. Outside of that, there are elements of dubstep, drum and bass, and even some trap thrown in the mix here. I’m more of a casual EDM listener, so for me, this is right up my alley. I particularly liked “DON’T EVEN BOTHER” with The Pom-Poms, another artist I hadn’t even heard of before this album. The same could be said for “HELLTAKER,” which I honestly thought was gonna be good based on the name alone. My favorite track on here, hands down actually, is “ERROR” with onumi. I don’t talk about EDM on Twitter often, but I’ve heard about onumi since about 2018 and I’m happy I found her on a big album like this. It’s awesome.

MUST DIE! blends different subgenres together for a sound all of his own on CRISIS VISION. My friend had told me that this was one of the best releases in the genre this year, and quite frankly, I couldn’t agree more. Maybe this is the album that gets me back into my electronic phase. Or maybe not, I was so cringey back in middle school when this was all I listened to.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




CRISIS VISION is a Never Say Die release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters