Faye Webster - I Know I'm Funny haha ALBUM REVIEW

I find it great that in literally every picture I’ve seen Faye Webster in, she just looks different but the same…? It’s tough to explain.


Let me just use this post to say that June 25th, 2021 has been one of the biggest New Music Fridays in a long time. It’s pretty nice that throughout all of this Tyler, the Creator and Doja Cat and Lucy Dacus and Hiatus Kaiyote that Faye Webster is getting a bunch of press as well. The first time I heard of Webster was her song “Kingston” from her last album, Atlanta Millionaires Club. I didn’t listen to the singles going into this album, I Know I’m Funny haha, mainly because I didn’t get to, but I’m pretty glad that I didn’t. I personally enjoy listening to these types of albums without knowing the singles from it, so let’s just get right into I Know I’m Funny haha to see what all the fuss is about.

The folk/country/alternative style is a pretty niche combination, yet it tends to work on paper. Webster has rocked this sound for her past albums and rocked them well in all of them, and it’s no different on this. This time, though, there’s much more of an emotional impact, not to say that there wasn’t on her past albums, but it just feels amplified now. Her writing is pretty great here, with all the emotion of a well-made romantic comedy like The Notebook. I’ve never really noticed this on her other albums, but this has a very big Fleetwood Mac influence.

I know it’s a little shorter than usual, I’m sorry, but I Know I’m Funny haha is one of the best singer-songwriter albums of the year so far. It’s a pretty high watermark for Faye Webster’s career and should be heard by all. This is a good album for a fun lazy Sunday, which is actually when I listened to it.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




I Know I’m Funny haha is a Secretly Canadian release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters