Doja Cat - Planet Her ALBUM REVIEW

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: Not me accidentally dropping this review early.)


My most popular YouTube upload is my bite-size review of Hot Pink, so who knows if this is gonna do well or not.


I’ve always kinda liked Doja Cat as an artist. She’s in this R&B/pop lane that I don’t listen to that often, but whenever I’ve heard a song of her’s, it’s been alright. I don’t think she’s that much of an album artist, though. Her past two albums, Amala and Hot Pink, aren’t the best R&B/pop albums out there, but as I’ve said earlier, they’re alright. When the first single “Kiss Me More” with SZA dropped, it got me pretty excited for it, honestly. It’s one of the better singles of the year, and along with that, it’s just an earworm. Maybe that’s why I like “Physical” by Olivia Newton-John so much too, but that’s beside the point. The collaborators on Planet Her are also pretty exciting. We have the artists that she’s worked with before like Ariana Grande and The Weeknd, but we also have some new collaborators like Young Thug and J.I.D in the mix too. Could Planet Her finally be that album that solidifies Doja Cat as an albums artist? Let’s find out.

First off, I just gotta say that y’all don’t like this? I’m not seeing that many positive reactions to it, if there even is any. Compared to her past albums, there really isn’t that much uniqueness here, and that’s kind of sad. Luckily, it actually has a crop of great songs that are at the very end of this album. The track with J.I.D “Options'' is a kinky track and it’s nice that J.I.D is getting all of this attention now. Both “Ain’t Shit” and “Imagine” are little piano-laden tracks that just fit Doja’s aesthetic pretty well, along with just being well written songs in general. “Alone” is a single-Pringle anthem, and the album closes with “Kiss Me More.” There are also some good moments sprinkled in there like the Young Thug feature and the Weeknd ballad, but a good chunk of this just felt… lifeless. I’m not sure if that’s the best way to describe it, but that’s just how I feel.

While Doja Cat isn’t an albums artist just yet, Planet Her has just enough to keep her in the game for a bit. The highs of this album are really high, but the lows are pretty low too. I do think that this is Doja’s best album in her career so far, and with time, I think she could top this too. She really is on her own planet with this one.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Planet Her is an RCA Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters