Pan Daijing - Jade 玉观音 ALBUM REVIEW

Everything about this makes me genuinely uncomfortable in the best ways possible.


I like creepy music. Like, something that genuinely gets your skin to crawl. Chinese-German artist Pan Daijing has been working in that lane since 2015, and it’s quite frankly some of the most skin-crawling stuff I’ve heard in a while. Four years after her harrowing album Lack 惊蛰, she’s back with some new creepy shit, Jade 玉观音. To enhance the experience, I ended up listening to this at 1 am so I could get the whole experience of whatever the hell this was gonna be. Let’s get into Jade 玉观音 and see how it went.

I’m gonna start off with a quote from Daijing herself that I think describes this album quite well: ‘Solitude is like an immense lake you’re swimming through… Sometimes you dip your head in and sometimes you lift it up.’ Jade 玉观音 is one of the most terrifying experiences I’ve had listening to music in a while mainly because I was alone while doing so. A highlight on this was on “Dictee 三月,” where Daijing’s voice is meshed together with this creaking cello, creating this horrible dissonance, unlike anything I’ve heard this year, good and bad. Going back to the water theme, “Let 七月” is about someone with thalassophobia (the fear of the ocean) taking a dip into an ocean, and the experience of what lurks in the depths of said ocean. There’s a spoken-word piece that comes with it, and it’s quite terrifying.

Well, let the record show that Jade 玉观音 is the perfect example of an album that’s good but I’ll never listen to again. To add to this, I found a great tweet that sums up my listening experience, which will be linked here. Pan Daijing is an artist that will stick in my mind for all the wrong reasons, so good luck to her career and make sure to terrify more people.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Jade 玉观音 is a PAN release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters