Polo G - Hall of Fame ALBUM REVIEW

This is a good weekend for bad album covers.


I cannot say this enough, but Polo G has somehow become a massive star. Not to say that he’s talentless, he actually has quite a bit of talent, but it seemed like he became a star overnight. The first time I genuinely heard one of his songs was his contribution to the Judas and the Black Messiah soundtrack earlier this year, and I had two takeaways. One: I could see why he’s liked so much. Two: I definitely understood why he gained the nickname Piano G. Last month, I actually checked out his two past projects, Die a Legend and The GOAT, and just based on that, what’s his next album gonna be called? He Rested on the Seventh Day? Jokes aside, his first two projects before this new one, Hall of Fame, are actually pretty alright. What compelled me about it was his storytelling. For such a new name on the scene, he has pretty great lyrics. Does this continue to his newest album? Let’s get into Hall of Fame and find out.

Now, let me just say this one thing: This is Polo’s worst album yet. Another thing I didn’t understand about this is all the hype around it. I saw so many tweets saying that this is ‘album of the decade.’ I just personally don’t get where even his own fans are getting that. The production is a little better this time around, and if you don’t mind me saying this, I don’t mind that he’s always on piano and now guitar beats. The man found a formula and he’s sticking with it, but 20 tracks of this? This got so boring so quickly, even with the features being on there. I mentioned that I’ve been a good fan of his writing and storytelling, but this time around, it just feels a little rushed and sometimes even sloppy. I don’t even think I could pick out songs I like without going through and listening to them over again, including the ones with features.

While Hall of Fame isn’t the worst thing I’ve heard this year, it’s just so painfully boring. It feels like playlist fodder that if you found a song you’d like, you pick that out and delete the rest of what you don’t listen to. I was just hoping for a little more versatility from Polo G, and even if he did that with some more melodic tracks, it wasn’t enough.


4/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Hall of Fame is a Columbia Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters