Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend ALBUM REVIEW

Seeing this group get so much praise for this album is insane, I’m so happy for them.


Not a lot of people know this about me, but there was a time when Wolf Alice was my favorite band. Their first two albums, My Love is Cool and Visions of a Life, are so incredibly underrated and underappreciated in the modern alt-rock canon. Since then, though, I grew out of the alt-rock phase and listened to other music. Once I finally heard that Wolf Alice was coming back with Blue Weekend, I was ecstatic. The lead single, “The Last Man on Earth,” really set the stage for something special. I don’t talk about alt-rock too often, so I might as well use the comeback of one of my favorite groups as an excuse to do so. Let’s get into the comeback of Wolf Alice, Blue Weekend.

If I could critique the group for one thing, it’d be that they really didn’t have a true identity. Yes, My Love is Cool and Visions of a Life are great, but they didn’t have anything that made them stand out in this alt-rock lane. Luckily, the Wolf Alice formula is mastered and they finally found themselves as a band. On most of these songs, there are some synthesizers and sound effects, and they do a very good job of making an atmosphere that’s ethereal and mysterious. Vocalist Ellie Roswell really pulls out all the stops, especially on “Lipstick on the Glass,” which I think is a very good summary of the album as a whole: melancholic, stunning vocals, and a whole lot of synth.

As a Wolf Alice fan, I couldn’t be happier with Blue Weekend. The four-year-long wait for their comeback is everything that I thought it would be and more. It’s incredibly immersive and it has that lightning-in-a-bottle feeling that not many artists can capture often. I’m happy to say that this is Wolf Alice’s best project so far and is a step in the right direction for one of my favorite groups.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Blue Weekend is a Dirty Hit release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters