Aminé - TWOPOINTFIVE MIXTAPE REVIEW

No, I’m not going to score this a 2.5/10 because it’s the mixtape title.


I’m gonna be honest, Aminé came out of nowhere to me last year. I always knew his name for the “Caroline” single from a few years back, but it just didn’t really appeal to me that much at the time. Last year, that really changed with his last album, Limbo. That project was one of the biggest and best surprises of 2020 to me and there are quite a few tracks from it still in my playlist over a year after its release. Hell, I’ll stand by the fact that it’s one of the best albums of that year. Now, continuing with his release pattern of album-mixtape, we now have the mixtape, the aptly titled TWOPOINTFIVE. I heard the single beforehand, the bubbly and great “Charmander,” so let’s get into my thoughts on it.

Right when I finished my first listen to this, there are two albums I thought of: Rico Nasty’s Nightmare Vacation and Kanye West’s Yeezus. When it comes to the Rico comparison, I think they’re in the same lane. Leaning into the experimental/hyperpop lane when it comes to the production, Aminé did really well with this sound, even if I prefer the sound of Limbo. He still sounds great and he’s more melodic on this album than on his past projects, which is just a personal preference of mine. As for the Yeezus comparison, I can tell you for a fact that there are probably people that won’t like this because they simply aren’t into experimental music like this. This has happened a lot throughout music history, but I say Yeezus now because it’s a modern example of it. Either way, I think TWOPOINTFIVE is a fun little project. Aminé takes the hyperpop-rap route for what could be a benchmark for the genre-fusion years down the line.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




TWOPOINTFIVE is a CLBN release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters