R.A.P. Ferreira - The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures ALBUM REVIEW

Ah, yes. Finally back in jazz rap.


If you look at R.A.P. Ferreira’s discography, you wouldn’t see that much there. However, he’s been putting out projects under different names like Milo and Scallops Hotel since at least 2011. The Chicago-born poet and rapper recently hit my radar with 2020’s Purple Moonlight Pages (which will be covered in a Cache Saturday installment next month) and bob's son: R​.​A​.​P. Ferreira in the garden level cafe of the scallops hotel from earlier this year, and while I liked both of those projects, they weren’t absolute knockouts to me. I was waiting for that project still, so I was excited to hear that his next project, titled The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures, would be arriving so soon. Let’s get into it.

I’ll start with what I liked the most here, and that’s the jazzy, atmospheric beats. Save for Eldon, I hadn’t even heard of any of the producers that Ferreira worked with on here. Argov, Brendon Caroselli, Gibbsfreelance, Pink Navel, and Vast Ness, among others, really stood out among the sea of producers here and I’m very curious to see where they go. For Ferreira himself, I think he sounds more soothing than he has on his past projects and it fits the sound of the album incredibly well. I also enjoy how short it is, with only eleven songs and just under a half-hour. It doesn’t overstay its welcome, like some albums in recent memory. Overall, The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures is a pleasant surprise and should be at the top of any jazz rap fan’s list. R.A.P. Ferreira contributes another ambitious jazz rap album in a year full of them but adds just enough to make it unique.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




The Light Emitting Diamond Cutter Scriptures is a Ruby Yacht release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters