Snail Mail - Valentine ALBUM REVIEW

Synths mixed with indie rock is honestly a combo that shouldn’t work but does.


Maryland musician Lindsey Jordan, better known as Snail Mail, is an artist that I never expected to like as much as I did. Her debut album, 2018’s Lush, is one of my favorite releases of the indie rock genre and when her sophomore release, Valentine, was announced, I was over the moon hyped. Honestly, I don’t have much else to say about it. I’m in the dark on it because I didn’t listen to any of the singles, so let’s just get into Valentine and see how it is.

This album is short but sweet with 10 songs 30 minutes in length, so there’s not a lot of room for mistakes. The production from Bon Iver collaborator Brad Cook is very sweet sounding, but I do think the standout here is Jordan. I think that it’s a good showcase of how talented Jordan is as a writer and vocalist. It’s one of the rare albums that isn’t great because of how forward-thinking it is but is great for how much progression there is in the artist from one project to another. I think everything about Valentine is a great upgrade. Snail Mail’s talent grows on what will possibly be the best indie rock album of the year and a highlight of this year.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Valentine is a Matador release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters