Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak) - An Evening with Silk Sonic ALBUM REVIEW

Holy shit, it’s finally here.


You know, I could safely say that this is my most anticipated album of 2021. Who the hell would ever imagine Bruno Mars, an industry titan and hit-making machine, and Anderson .Paak, one of the most underrated yet most respected artists working now (who also happens to be one of my favorite musicians ever), to team up for an entire album under a new name, Silk Sonic? I know a couple of people that doubted this, but right when I heard the news of them working together, I knew this was gonna be an absolute treasure. The three singles released for this album, the chart-topping “Leave The Door Open,” the bubbly “Skate,” and my personal favorite “Smokin Out the Window,” were all damn near perfect. There was a level of chemistry between Mars and .Paak that’s rarely captured in music. I may not agree with this notion, but people I’ve asked have said that this is the closest we’ll ever get to having Michael Jackson and Prince working together. Either way, Silk Sonic have finally released their debut album, An Evening with Silk Sonic. Let’s get into it.

I’m gonna be totally honest about this. I’ve listened to it multiple times, but I haven’t loved an album this much on its first listen probably since IGOR. This project is short as hell at only 9 tracks and just over 30 minutes, but there’s no fat on this. Literally, any track off this could be released as a single AND be a hit. What truly makes this special is that there’s no true MVP here. Mars and .Paak both contribute the same amount and they never steal each other’s thunder. Even the only two guests on here, the legendary Bootsy Collins and Thundercat, still make great contributions and feel like members of Silk Sonic. The production, mainly done by Mars himself and D’Mile, is perfect. Nothing else needs to be said about that. Hell, I’d say right off the bat, there are two contenders off this album for some of my favorite songs of all time, and they’re the aforementioned “Smokin Out the Window” and the closing track, “Blast Off.” That’s not to say that the rest of the songs don’t hit that level. There isn’t a bad song on here, but those two are my personal favorites. It goes without saying based on how much praise I’ve been giving this, but An Evening With Silk Sonic not only lived up to the astronomical expectations it had, but it was better. As Silk Sonic, Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak have cemented themselves as one of the most entertaining duos in music right now. Here’s hoping for more.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




An Evening with Silk Sonic is an Aftermath Entertainment / Atlantic Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters