Arca - KICK ii ALBUM REVIEW

Arca Week starts today! Tuesday-Friday will cover all four new KICK albums, and I will give my ratings on each album on Friday. Let’s start with KICK ii, the first album to my knowledge that samples Among Us.


This is gonna be the only review with an intro, so I’ll just get it out of the way now. Arca is one of the most creative producers working right now. I could honestly go on and on about how many new sounds I’ve heard from her, but that would take forever. The first album in this series, KiCk i, catapulted her into worldwide fame, even getting the chance to work with artists like Frank Ocean and Lady Gaga. Now, in a new experiment specifically to torment my review schedule, Arca has released FOUR NEW ALBUMS in the KICK series. I’ll be covering them one at a time and ranking them on Friday. So, let’s get into KICK ii.

In her past albums, there were hints of experimental reggaeton and I enjoyed the little bits of that sound, but here, she goes all in on this sound. Oddly enough, this also happens to have Arca’s more conventional songs too. The Sia-assisted “Born Yesterday” isn’t that great, mainly because I’m a part of the ‘fuck Sia, all the homies hate Sia’ agenda, but the production was pretty cool. I know I don’t have a lot to say right now, and that’s just it. If you’re familiar with the rest of Arca’s discography, which I’d say I am, this is just treading new ground, which has me worried for the rest of the series. There’s some cool stuff here and there, but not enough to get me to listen to this whole album for a while.


Rating on Friday/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




KICK ii is an XL release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters