DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - The Makin' Magick II Album ALBUM REVIEW

We’re gonna close off 2021 with a massive series of reviews, starting with this magical one here.


This past March, I reviewed what was possibly one of the best electronic albums in recent memory, and that’s the nearly three-hour epic Charmed from London producer DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ. I didn’t say it in my review, but after listening to Charmed quite a bit, I could honestly say it’s up there with one of my favorite albums ever and I think it’d eventually be as influential as The Avalanches’s debut project, Since I Left You. After dropping the Charmed review [and receiving a very kind message from Sabrina herself], that’s when I took the deep dive on her discography. Luckily, just as I finished it, I saw that not one but TWO new albums dropped. The second review will drop a little bit later today, but the first album is the sequel to her first full-length project, Makin’ Magick. So, let’s just jump into The Makin’ Magick II Album.

For shits and giggles, I’m gonna run back to that Avalanches comparison for a second. Sampling in music can go beyond music and evoke feelings from the listener, at least when it’s done right. While I’ve heard certain songs and at least two entire albums do this [Charmed and Since I Left You], I haven’t heard anyone do it as consistently as DJ Sabrina. Like the entirety of her discography, this sound evokes early 2000s pop. Everything sounds so familiar yet so altered because of how every little sound and sample is mixed together. Except for the Jason Derulo sample on “One Day,” it’s always an exciting feeling to recognize samples. However, the biggest highlight on here is “Being Alone,” a 12-minute epic that belongs in the S-tier of DJ Sabrina’s tracks. It’s one of the best songs of the year, regardless of genre. Honestly, I’m out of words. The Makin’ Magick II Album is one of the best albums of the year. DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ flies in at full force to release a joyful and, yes, a magical experience.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




The Makin' Magick II Album is a Spells on the Telly release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters