2 Chainz - So Help Me God! ALBUM REVIEW

I’ve always been a passive 2 Chainz fan. His last two albums, Pretty Girls Like Trap Music and Rap or Go to the League, were pretty fun listens, but they weren’t masterpieces by any means. Ever since then, he’s been a little off of my radar because he just doesn’t stand out to me. It’s really sad for me to say that because I think he’s a fun and entertaining rapper. When I had first heard about his announcement about his next album So Help Me God!, I was kind of excited. A new 2 Chainz album isn’t an event, but it’s always pretty fun. The single “Quarantine Thick” with Mulatto wasn’t that great, and that kind of dampened the hype, but that wasn’t gonna stop me from listening to it. Anyways, let’s get into So Help Me God!.

So Help Me God! is a hip-hop album with trap influences. First off, these features are ambitious as hell. Ty Dolla $ign, Kanye West, Brent Faiyaz, Chief Keef, and more all give pretty good performances. The others on there are fine, but there’s one feature in particular that legitimately ruins one of the better tracks on the album. That song is “Save Me,” and the feature is Youngboy Never Broke Again. God, this feature is atrocious. I’m not gonna stay on this topic for long because I’m going to lose so much time on it, but Youngboy NBA nearly ruins one of the best songs on the album. I won’t let that slide. Other than that, 2 Chainz gives consistently great performances on the album. He’s not the most energetic performer, but he brings hilarious delivery to some of the more lackluster vocals. He’s basically just giving more energy to the less-vocal parts to justify them, and that keeps the same vibe throughout the album. The production is probably the best aspect of the album to me. The samples across the board are pretty amazing, and they include some of my favorite samples this year. If I had to pick a favorite song, it’d be “Southside Hov.” I love that even if the topic is basic, it feels very sincere from Mr. Chainz and I absolutely love that.

Overall, So Help Me God! is 2 Chainz at his most authentic. I feel like I was sitting in a group therapy session, and 2 Chainz was just talking about what was on his mind. This is just a (mostly) fun album to listen to simply because of how it sounds. Like 2 Chainz’s other albums, it’s no masterpiece, but it’s a hell of a fun time.


6/10


Stream So Help Me God! here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters