Little Mix - Confetti ALBUM REVIEW

Genuine question here: Is this a Simon Cowell product? Like, this has to be something from Simon’s making. Little Mix is a British pop group that gained traction after winning The X Factor. Actually, that gives me my Simon answer. They’ve been going strong over the year, and I’m kind of surprised that they lasted longer than Fifth Harmony. Either way, they never really hit it big in America to my knowledge, but I’ve heard some of their songs, and they’re cute. They haven’t blown me away, but it’s pop music doing pop music, I guess. This is their sixth album as a group, Confetti, and for a pop group, male or female, it’s an impressive milestone that not a lot of modern groups hit. Because of this occasion, I decided to give Confetti a shot. Let’s just get into it.

Confetti is a pop album with R&B and dance influences. A good sign of a successful pop band is chemistry, and quite frankly, Little Mix have that in spades. Each member’s performances are fine, honestly. Nothing truly blew me away, but I understand the appeal. The hooks are catchy, especially on “Happiness” and “Sweet Melody,” and the production is a little on the generic side, but it gets the job done. What really bothers about Confetti, though, is the pacing. This thing is front-loaded with the singles, and I’m not usually a giant fan of that. In the second half of the album, I legitimately got bored and started doing other things. I started putting my laundry away. That’s what I did. I’m not even joking. The songs that weren’t singles have such a wide divide in quality that it’s funny. It’s also really sad because I know that Little Mix can make better music than this.

Like a good chunk of safe mainstream pop, Confetti gets the job done for a little bit, but after that, it’s an extremely forgettable project. What makes this falter is how Little Mix has proven that they can make far better music than this. Some of their best songs are on this album, but some of their worst are on here too. I was also just hoping for a little more than generic pop music.


5/10


Stream Confetti here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters