Bree Runway - 2000AND4EVA ALBUM REVIEW

I honestly don’t have a lot to say about Bree Runway. Her debut album/mixtape 2000AND4EVA was a surprise drop, and I had enjoyed some of her features she’s done in the past. I saw some press releases about her debut project, and I decided that I’ll go check it out! I know that this is a smaller intro, but it’s simply a new project that I’m excited to listen to! To note some things about Runway as an artist, I think that the songs I’ve heard her featured on have been very charismatic and animated, which I can also attribute to the memorable cover art. With that, I’m pretty stoked to listen to this. Let’s get into 2000AND4EVA.

2000AND4EVA is a hip-hop album with R&B, pop, and electronic influences. I’ve noticed a theme throughout 2020 where there are short and sweet rap EPs and short projects, and to my knowledge, this is the third one that’s come out. After hearing the entirety of this project, I’m really surprised Bree Runway isn’t one of the biggest stars on the planet. This is a great example of the cover being a good example of what type of music you’re going to get into. It’s an off-kilter, experimental collage of genres that not a lot of artists can pull off well. “APESHIT” is a well oiled rock-rap machine, the single “DAMN DANIEL” with Yung Baby Tate sounds like a pop song from the 80s with a sensual flair, and “NICOLE THEA & BABY REIGN” is an R&B-tinged tribute to the late Thea, a close friend of Bree’s. Her performances are slick and her flows are some of the best I’ve heard this year, but the problems come up with the album’s structure. Most of these songs are pretty short, and I think about three songs out of the nine on here already were released. I just happened to hear them when I was reviewing the project. The songs are also pretty short, which can be tough to leave an impression. The features here are also a mixed bag too. Rico Nasty’s verse on the “NOKIA PHONE” remix is way too short to leave a mark, sadly, and Maliibu Miitch’s contributions to “GUCCI” just didn’t do too much for me. Although, Yung Baby Tate’s aforementioned feature and the legendary Missy Elliot’s feature on the sexy track “ATM” are pretty good, if not stellar.

Bree Runway’s debut mixtape/album is, in many ways, a success. 2000AND4EVA is a showcase of a new type of pop star, a versatile and even sometimes menacing woman whose talents are unbound. There are pockets of untapped potential throughout the project, though. The songs being too short is my biggest complaint, which isn’t bad by any means. I think we’re witnessing a new star being born, and her name is Bree Runway.


7/10


Stream 2000AND4EVA here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters