HEALTH - DISCO4 :: PART I ALBUM REVIEW

I hadn’t really cared about HEALTH’s music until recently. Actually, I didn’t really think of HEALTH’s music until the release of this album, DISCO4 :: PART I. Like the title says, this is apparently the first part of a collaborative series of mini-albums, and the guest list on this is pretty nuts. Experimental duo 100 gecs, rap warrior JPEGMAFIA, and indie darling Soccer Mommy all feature on this, among many others. This definitely caught my eye when looking through it, and I decided to give it a go. Let’s get right into DISCO4 :: PART I.

DISCO4 :: PART I is an alternative album with experimental, metal, electronic, rock, indie, and hip-hop influences. Collaborative projects have always been hit or miss to me. Rap albums tend to be the first things that come to mind. Drake and Future had surprisingly strong chemistry on What a Time to be Alive five years ago, and Kanye West and Kid Cudi’s KIDS SEE GHOSTS is one of my favorite Kanye-adjacent projects in recent memory. What both these had was good chemistry and even a little bit of risk-taking, in some cases. This may not be a hip-hop album, but HEALTH has pretty good chemistry with most of these artists, even if there are some flukes here. “POWER FANTASY” with 100 gecs is a fucking weird song. Anything 100 gecs touches is quite memorable, but this is a whole new level. Right after that, we have the Ghostmane-featuring “JUDGEMENT NIGHT,” where Ghostmane is an absolute maniac with these vocals, and is going to make me take a second look at his solo music. While there are calmer tracks on here, they still don’t let up with the villainous vibes throughout DISCO4 :: PART I. Noise rock group Xiu Xiu pop up on “DELICIOUS APE,” which is almost genre-less with how just spacey and ambient it is. Some people see that as a good thing, but I think it’s one of the slower moments on the album. “HATE YOU” with JPEGMAFIA was a track I was hoping to like more than I should, and I could say the same about “MASS GRAVE,” featuring vocals from indie darling Soccer Mommy. Her vocals don’t do too much for me here, and I know that she can be a powerhouse anyway. An overall high point is the production across the board, it’s near perfect and one of the best sounding albums I’ve heard all year, regardless of genre.

Overall, DISCO4 :: PART I is a pretty fun and versatile journey being led by HEALTH’s stellar production and strong chemistry with nearly all of their collaborators. If this really is the first part in a series of collaboration albums, I’m pretty excited about the future of the series. Don’t sleep on this.


7/10


Stream DISCO4 :: PART I here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters